The New Resistance
There is an invisible power which secretly rules.
There is compelling evidence that U.S. authorities had specific advance warning about 9-11 and other forthcoming terrorist attacks on American soil—but failed to act.
Federal officials are trying to intimidate an individual who-six months prior to the 9-11 tragedy-had provided, through multiple venues, early warning, based on inside information, that terrorists reputedly connected to al Qaeda were planning massive attacks on American soil.
On Jan. 8, high-ranking FBI official Ted Gunderson (ret.) visited American Free Press headquarters on Capitol Hill in Washington and provided detailed documentary material that unveils a remarkable series of events.
Gunderson has compiled evidence demonstrating beyond any question that the FBI is now engaged in a clear-cut effort to cover up its foreknowledge of specific allegations about then-impending terrorist attacks of the type that happened on Sept. 11, 2001.
Gunderson’s charges are particularly powerful precisely because of who he (Gunderson) happens to be: a 27-year FBI veteran who capped his career in the bur eau as senior special agent in charge of the Los Angeles office of the FBI.
In Los Angeles, Gunderson had over 700 people under his command and operated a $22 million budget.
Previously he served as special agent-in-charge of FBI offices in such major cities as Memphis and Dallas.
Following his retirement, Gunderson served as security coordinator for the Pan American Games, appointed by the U.S. attorney general, Griffin Bell, to the post, and later was a consultant to the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Committee and the California Narcotics Authority.
Today, Gunderson operates an international security consulting agency based in Los Angeles. He is also a correspondent for AFP.
Gunderson has his own “inside” knowledge of the al Qaeda network going back to the days when purported al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was still officially allied with the United States.
As AFP reported on Jan. 7, 2002, Gunderson met bin Laden in the spring of 1986 when bin Laden-traveling under the name “Tim Osman”-visited the United States under State Department and CIA sponsorship for the purpose of securing arms and aid for Afghan rebels fighting against the Soviet occupation forces in Afghanistan.
Thus having forged contacts with persons connected to bin Laden’s al Qaeda network, Gunderson was well positioned to learn-in the wake of the 9-11 attacks-stunning information pointing toward negligence by U.S. authorities, including the FBI, in failing to respond to early warnings about possible terrorist attacks.
Here’s the remarkable story that Gunderson provided to AFP, based on information he has gleaned from several sources, including, most specifically, the source that AFP has chosen to dub “Paul Revere”:
As early as February of 2001-seven months before 9-11-“Paul Revere” (hereinafter “Revere”) provided information outlining his contact with sources inside an Islamic group called “the Base” (al Qaeda) and indicated that he, “Revere,” had learned that this group was planning a terrorist attack on U.S. soil.
In his letters, copies of which are in the hands of AFP, “Revere” said he could provide the specific name of a certain individual in the “Base” who:
• Was coordinating forthcoming terrorist attacks on the United States;
• Had information on the movement of Soviet-made shoulder-fired missiles into the United States;
• Was coordinating forthcoming skyjackings;
• Was coordinating bombings and espionage; and
• Knew the identities of “sleepers” (i.e. deep cover, long-term foreign agents) operating in the United States and overseas.
In his letters, “Revere” stated that he would not divulge specific details unless the U.S. government granted immunity from prosecution to his sources.
“Revere” indicated that his sources could also furnish information concerning the handling of false identifications and passports for the group.
Next, “Revere” sent a certified letter to a member of Congress in an effort to expedite the reporting of this information to the appropriate authorities. AFP has a copy of this letter.
Six days later, one of the attorneys who had received the letter from “Revere” sent a letter to Secretary of State Colin Powell, with a copy to Attorney General John Ashcroft, advising that he had received information concerning an imminent terrorist attack on the United States.
The attorney specifically requested that an agency other than the FBI obtain the details from “Revere.” AFP also has a copy of this letter.
One day later, “Revere” made contact with a number of individuals-the two aforementioned attorneys and two additional attorneys, all of whose names are also known to AFP-as well as John O’Neill, the FBI terrorism expert who was known for being keen on the capture of bin Laden.
Subsequent to the contact from “Revere,” O’Neill re tired from the FBI and assumed the post as chief of security for the World Trade Center just one day before the Sept. 11, 2001, mass murders. Tragically, O’Neill died in the World Trade Center attack.
Following 9-11, numerous sources in the mainstream media indicated that O’Neill had been disillusioned with the FBI’s failure to pursue bin Laden.
In his conversations with O’Neill and others, “Revere” advised that he had learned that a shipment of 37 Soviet-made Strela-3 and Igla-9 missiles had been shipped from Bulgaria to Colombia and thence to Canada, destined for Thabet Aviation in Quebec City.
One of the attorneys passed this specific information on to the office of the FBI and to the U.S. attorney in a major Midwestern city, the location of which is known to AFP.
During the next six weeks-the end of March 2001-a special agent from an FBI office visited “Revere.” The FBI office and the name of the agent are known to AFP.
At that time “Revere”:
• Provided the agent the name of the specific aforementioned individual (located in the previously referenced state on the Eastern seaboard) who was planning the attacks on the United States;
• Provided the agent information on a false identification ring operating in Montreal and in the state located on the Eastern seaboard;
• Indicated to the agent that he could furnish the exact false identification of terrorists who had been chosen for future actions inside the United States;
• Advised the agent that the 37 Soviet-made missiles were being handled through Thabet Aviation in Quebec City and that this firm also brokered old but serviceable aircraft (Swearingens, DC-9s, 747s and high performance military) to be used in drug-running and future terrorist attacks in a so-called “40-minute war” scenario by using aircraft as flying missiles; and
• Informed the agent that terrorists were taking flight training in various types of aircraft brokered by Thabet, and that, if given immunity for himself and his contacts, he would provide specific information where said training was taking place and the identities of the students involved.
Between the date of the March interview and Sept. 11, 2001, “Revere” heard nothing further from the FBI or any other federal agency.
However, just days after the Sept. 11 attacks, “Revere” was again visited by the FBI agent and another unidentified agent.
At that time they accused “Revere” of being “anti-government” and threatened him with prosecution.
The agents also made additional threats of possible retaliation against “Revere,” the specifics of which are known to AFP but cannot be revealed in order to protect the identity of “Revere.”
In the months that followed, “Revere” secured the assistance of a United States senator, whose name is known to AFP, in seeking to secure from federal records the specific date in March of 2001 on which he (“Revere”) had first been interviewed by the FBI agent.
AFP is in possession of a copy of the FBI’s official response which specifically acknowledges the date of the second interview, but which does not acknowledge the earlier interview in question.
The FBI letter admits that “Revere” had met with the FBI on a number of occasions but does not acknowledge the first meeting described by “Revere.”
It was after this that the FBI:
• Seized the computers and other items without a warrant from per sons who were in contact with “Revere”-none of whom, quite notably, is knowledgeable in any way about “terrorism” or the 9-11 attacks;
• Demanded all letters, documents, correspondence, books, etc. and inquired about any alleged “Arab” contacts of “Revere”; and
• Advised these individuals that “Revere” had been making irresponsible statements about the is sue of terrorism and that if these individuals provided “Revere” any assistance that they might suffer criminal legal consequences.
Asked Gunderson: “Is the purpose of these raids and the FBI’s reluctance to confirm the March 2001 meeting with ‘Revere’-six months prior to 9-11-part of a campaign to eliminate any trace or proof that the FBI had official knowledge of the impending attacks?”
Gunderson’s statements are reinforced by President George W. Bush’s decision to go ahead with an official inquiry into the failings of U.S intelligence that allowed 9-11 to occur.